Sunday, September 24, 2006

Lazy

I can call it overwhelmed to make it sound better, but lately I am definitely lazy. Ok, not just lately, but I am more bothered by it lately.

I found my down sleeping bag. It is one of my prized possessions because of the freedom it gives me. I bought it 20 years ago after a relationship broke up. That and a small tent. No longer would I need a man to go do the things I enjoy! The bag keeps me warm, and being down, is also fine for summer. I have been careful during this move to keep it near me. I thought. Labor Day weekend when I went to James Cave I couldn't find the bag. I figured it was just in Another Place, since with 2 houses and 4 outbuildings I have a lot of Places. Before heading to Montgomery I looked in every Place I could thing of, no bag. I decided it saw me looking lustfully at new -20 degree bags in the new ultralight gear sites and being the jealous type it took a hike. Well, apparently it has forgiven me, because yesterday I walked into the room where I had looked in the closet and under the bed for the bag, and it was leaning against the wall next to the dresser. I keep it unstuffed in a muslin bag, so it is 2.5 ft tall and over a foot around, so it isn't like it's something small to look for. But, somehow I had gone into that room many times looking specifically for that sleeping bag and not seen it sitting right there. sigh. At any rate, I have my freedom back and can look forward to sleeping warm whatever travels I decide to head out on.

All but one of the hikers I've followed on the Appalachian Trail are either finished or have dropped off the trail at this point. It has been bittersweet, since I no longer will have any connection to these folks I feel I've come to know through their blogs. I do have a goal to hike the trail myself in 3 or 4 years. This gives me a concrete timeline to get myself and my gear and my finances where they need to be. I could refer back to my opening comments on being lazy here. As the weather gets cooler I want to go back to the Smoky Mountains and do the day hike that is my gauge on how in or out of shape I am. I won't schedule it for Christmas Day again since the weather has a habit of making it's sudden turn to winter right around Christmas Eve, and the park won't let me up to the trailhead when there is snow since I don't have 4wd.

Hopefully I'll post this evening on what all I've managed to accomplish today. It is almost 11:30 and I haven't started...

No comments:

Post a Comment