Sunday, January 14, 2007

Tarot

I have an on-going casual interest in the Tarot. Also, I Ching, The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn and other mystical and arcane things. It's all part of the mix for me. I have both of my Tarot decks packed away as well as my I Ching book. I have mentioned SimpleLiving.net and the discussion boards there as a place I hang out under another name. Tarot came up on there, and some good links were given by various folks.

To learn Tarot:
http://www.learntarot.com/

Get a Tarot reading:
http://www.facade.com/tarot/

I went to the Tarot reading link and to see what it said. One of the layout choices was Shadow Truth. How could I resist? I always learn something from a Tarot layout, whether it is what thought I needed the answer to or not. This was no exception.

"The Shadow Truth spread provides insight into your attitudes and hidden feelings. This spread is used when you are having trouble confronting something, or fear that you are concealing something from yourself."

The remarks in quotes are from the facade.com site and belong to them. The ones not in quotes are my observatons.

I had asked for a 'general reading' and was after an overview of my life. However, the significance of the 'Shadow' in the layout name attracted me. So, I got a reading giving insight into my attitudes and hidden feelings. Ok, whatever. This is a 5 card layout.

"The card in the center represents the attitude you assume. The Magician: Mastery over word, mind, and matter. The ability to turn ideas into actions, handle problems, and control one's life. The initiation of new projects, great works, or a new way of life. Eloquent and moving communication. Arcane and eldritch technologies."

I would personally say that this is my ideal, what I would like to be. If I assume this attitude then I am happy. Arcane is defined as: known or understood by very few; mysterious; secret; obscure; esoteric and eldritch technologies are are not defined in wikipedia so I'm guessing they are, uhh, arcane. So far I am totally down with this reading...

"The card to the right represents the thoughts and feelings that underly your attitudes. The World: Completeness and intricacy of design. A great work. Achievement, reward, and well-earned recognition. A time of success, prosperity, security and joy. May also indicate travel or a change in residence."

Again, I'm totally down with this. I just changed residences and am already thinking what I want my next one to be. I have traveled in the past and traveling is very much a part of my future plans. This is really what I want my life to be.

"The card at the top represents how your attitude is evolving and will evolve in the future. Knight of Cups, when reversed: The dark essence of water behaving as fire, such as a flash flood: Deceptive charm in the service of intense insecurity and rapidly shifting moods. Selfishness, indolence, and a complete lack of maturity. Misguided idealism divorced from practicality. Destructive romantic passions and infidelity."

Oops. Ummm. Intense insecurity and rapidly shifting moods? Me? Misguided idealism? As for the last sentence, ah, well, hmmmm. Ok, so I'm not making the progress on any front that I had envisioned. I have these deceptively charming excuses... sigh. Is this cognitive dissonance, the gap between perceived reality and true reality? This card smacked me up the side of the head. Hard.

"The card to the left represents how others perceive your attitude. The Hierophant: Faith in tradition and the old school. A justified and ancient source of power. Being supportive, sympathetic and loyal. Receiving instructions, learning, guidance or inspiration. The ability to hear a higher or inner voice. May also indicate a religious ritual, such as a marriage or an initiation."

I would venture that those I run with now see me as 'old school' and ancient, and even maybe hearing inner voices. Power maybe not so much.

"The card at the bottom represents what you cannot confront or are hiding from yourself. Six of Pentacles (Success): A time of prosperity and profit. Success and generosity in material things. Power and influence turned to noble pursuits. Philanthropy, and the balancing of physical and spiritual life. May suggest gifts or aid to one in need."

So, I'm hiding and not confronting prosperity, success, power and influence. All the things that I supposedly believe in and underly my attitudes. Damn that cognitive dissonance again.

Wrap up: What I take from this reading is that I can have all the things I want in life if I get off my butt and make it happen and stop sabotaging myself. Yeah, well, but you see (turning on charming smile) there are all these things standing in my way...

No comments:

Post a Comment