Sunday, October 31, 2010

Way Cool Link

I talk about how I am online reading blogs a lot.  I read a varied list on many subjects.  Sometimes I run across a gem that a blogger has found useful and posts about it.  Today I found another gem.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Folks who watch TV may have heard of this guy already.  He has an exhaustive list of lectures on math, 10 minutes per lecture, from how to add to way deeper subject matter than I'll ever have time to understand.  Hundreds of video lectures.  Way back near when I started the blogs I came across Heather who was home schooled and tended to just go do things she wanted to learn about.  She built her own cabin on her Mom's land (since sold), rebuilt her van inside and out, went out and got a job as a carpenter, etc.  When she was of the age to head to University, she decided to home school herself in University, too.  I liked that idea, and wrote a post on what my own personal University might look like.  As with many things, I never really followed through with it.  The site above really leaves me no excuse not to go back and fill in the blanks on math.  I can't even imagine where I'd be if I'd had a resource like this in school.  I made a lot of early decisions based on my insecurity with math, such as going to Tech school rather than Engineering or Computer Science.  I've been hindered in what I enjoy doing professionally ever since.

Ok, I'm energized.  I'm going to go study some Spanish first.  I also have a blog post to write about my trip today to the caves. 

2 comments:

  1. I think that learning an other language would be harder than learning math. I am not good at any language, including the one I try to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!! Where you at? Didn't you say a few days ago that you were going down in some cave? Ya didn't fall in did ya?

    ReplyDelete