Sunday, November 14, 2010

misc

I had the Typical Breakfast.  I feel good that I am starting to communicate somewhat with the Spanish-only speaking woman who now runs the restaurant.  I got what I ordered.  Not to say it wasn't a bit of a surprise.  The typical breakfast is a small cup of refried beans, 1 egg over easy, fried plantains, 2 small hot dogs (not sausage, hot dogs) a helping of 'cream' that I can't quite figure out, and 2 tortillas.  The cream is somewhat runny, and seems to have a base of sour cream with something else added.  I'll ask C and see if he knows.  I love the plantains, and the beans and tortillas are starting to be a breakfast thing for me.  The hot dogs were different for me for breakfast.  However, I'm now full.  This is what I mean about getting unusual things when ordering here in Honduras.

There were a couple of the military guys having breakfast at the same time.  It was unusual for me to hear English, spoken with no discernible Spanish accent.  We talked for a few minutes.

The circus is still across the street.  I'm wondering if this is their winter home, although since there really isn't a winter here that doesn't make much sense.  No one I've asked seems to know how long they will be here, and seem confused as to why I would ask.  The loudspeaker with the recorded carney hawking the show in Spanish is now only on weekends, and stops at a reasonable hour.  I am getting tired of the recording, and do wish them well as I hope they go someplace else.  No signs of that so far.

The hotel does my laundry for free, I just have to take it down to them.  I started doing hand laundry of the things I wanted not put in the dryer.  I also do my socks, as I don't like them turned into one cuff which stretches that cuff and that is how they do it.  The majority of the things I hand launder dry in a little over a day.  The socks take 3 days as they are heavier.  I'm about to see if my ability to communicate gets far enough to just ask them to not 'fold' my socks.  I'm getting brave.  :)

The beginning Spanish class starts the 22nd.  Now both of my bosses are talking about signing up.  This means a more certain ride home at night.  The class will go until 8pm, and that is late by my standards for taking a cab.  I'm hoping for the best.

As I unpack my stuff I find that most of it is the little things.  I have several dozen buttons in little envelopes that come with slacks and blouses.  I'm taking those out of the little envelopes and putting like size and color together to put in with my sewing (when I find that stuff...).  I also have A LOT of hair thingys, ties and small barrettes and combs and whatnot.  I should never have to purchase those things again.  I hate to get rid of them because I do use them.  I'm also going through my pens and tossing those that don't work anymore.  I have a bunch of pencils, and I almost never use pencils.  Those will go into work, I think.  Or, given to a local at work who works with one of the missions here.  Some things I want to get rid of make no sense to give away here, such as winter gloves and such.  It never gets cold enough here to use gloves.  It's the small stuff that takes time to sort through, and is easy to put off because no one thing takes up much room.  It has added up and was one of the big boxes of things shipped.

One advantage of having lived for a month with less stuff is that I really know I don't need to buy much at all this year.  No clothes, no hair ties, no kitchen stuff.  I'm working my way through the 3 large cosmetic bags of face/skin/hair toiletries, so it should be a while until I need to buy that stuff.  Other than food, not a lot else to buy.  It is an odd feeling when I hear Mom talk about going to yard sales and such.  I can't even think of what I'd want.  This is a good thing for me.  Less stuff to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment